A Southerner in London

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Does this sell it to you?






More views of the Cornish coast. I had my first proper English walk here. You may wonder what the difference between an American walk and an English walk is. Well, I'd say you'd have about 4 or 5 hours across the rugged English countryside to each American 30 minute meander through the neighborhood. I mean, some of these English walkers are hardcore! Our walk/hike this day was about 11 miles or so. We made our way through cow-patty-filled pastures, through ancient gates, between people's homes (all made of stone and hundreds of years old), narrowly missing bulls and horses, past the ruins of an old, old church, and then along the dramatic coastline with cliffs dropping into crystal-clear blue water. All the while, we only passed a handful of people. The walk ended with a dip into the FREEZING cold ocean at a beach in St. Ives (the cutest artist town you've ever seen). I seriously thought I'd get hypothermia if I stayed more than 3 minutes, and all around me were little English kids splashing around and having a grand ole time. I'm beginning to wonder what their skin is made of...Maybe I could get some of that home-made insulation!

3 Comments:

Blogger Grammie Jan said...

Oh Helen Clare, Doc Dorothy would LOVE you! 11 miles! How amazing....

I'm not sure I'm quite up for a move to London. I'm not quite up yet for a good American walk of 30 minutes.....

Love, Aunt Jan

7:39 AM  
Blogger RCO said...

I do hope that the ground was not as far below Adam as it appears in the picture!!! He now has a wife that he needs to take care of!!! ;o)

10:17 AM  
Blogger An Ami in Berlin said...

Wow! Where do we sign up for the tour? What a fabulous place, cow patties and all . . .

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home