A Southerner in London

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Washing

Washing. Why is this such a tedious chore in this country? Thankfully we've got a communal washer/dryer set in the entryway to our block of flats. Many people have to go to places like the laundrymat a few doors down. But the washing routine still has its oddities. The "short" cycle on the washing machine takes TWO hours! At least I've learned to time it now so I don't have to keep going out in the hall to check if it's done yet (which is no fun at all in the winter cause the non-heated entryway is FREEZING)...Of course size is an issue, as well. We've supposedly got the extra-large washer. I can't even imagine what the small must be like. I usually end up cramming as many things in as possible and quickly slamming the door shut to keep it in. That's probably about 1/2 to 3/4 a load in a normal American washer. Then there's the drying. At least we have a dryer, which many people don't have. Of course, some things I line dry and that doesn't take too long cause I leave our little heater on all the time. I think there were a couple of months in the summer last year when I could actually turn it off. It's still on the highest setting at the moment. Although I can tell the days aren't quite as cold as they have been, because it's more bearable to go into the kitchen. In the middle of winter the kitchen is as cold as it is outside. Hey, I guess I could use it like a great big fridge! I know this isn't terribly interesting, but I just thought I'd share one of those glimpses of normal, daily life here at 139.

4 Comments:

Blogger CuzNuz Ruth said...

Isn't it amazing how much we take for granted?! It is interesting to see how others live 'specially in other countries. How blessed we are in America. I remember when we visited Bill and Marie, My sister, in PNG and what a privilege it was to have electricity four hours of the day.
Glad it's finally warming up for you.

6:32 PM  
Blogger RCO said...

Great postings, HC!! You give us a real "taste" for how life is there in London and "jolly old England." :o) And of course the pictures add so much.

Happy Easter!! Jesus Christ is Risen indeed!!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Grammie Jan said...

I think Aunt Lyn will be able to identify with the washing/laundry crisis....I think her washing machines in Amsterdam and Berlin are teeny tiny too.

Maybe one of the reasons Europeans are skinnier than Americans is so they have smaller clothes that don't take so much room in their teeny tiny washing machines!

Love, Aunt Jan -- Happy Easter! Alleluia -- He is Risen!!

7:42 AM  
Blogger An Ami in Berlin said...

The real thing is that Europeans don't have walk-in closets, so they only keep the things they really like, and don't wash them as often as we do. But they do come out cleaner after 2 hours, if there is anything left of them, that is!!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home