A Southerner in London

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Roots





A mere five-minute trek off of the road back to London led us to this special place...Coity Castle, in Coity, Wales. How neat it is to think some of my family came from here! I don't know the history (though I have visited the place twice now--think it's about time for me to learn some facts!). I'd like to say our family owned the castle, but they probably took on the name as servants who worked and lived there. I did take a picture of the ruins of the chapel--maybe our ancestor was the clergy? :) Coit was my grandmother Nonnie's maiden name (my father's mother). Both my father and brother Rob have Coit as their middle name. Wouldn't you guys love to visit here? Just one more reason why you need to come back and visit...!

As we walked into the front yard, we ran into a large group of teens playing soccer! Some of them were also scaling the walls--no ropes or anything. The ruins are very high so I was thankful no one fell! They may have died from the impact. The sun was shining gloriously and it was actually warm. What a beautiful day to explore. Could you imagine playing in the local castle ruins for fun as you grew up?? It would have been my dream...Those of you who know me know that's no exaggeration! It was fun sharing a part of my family's history with Adam, as well. I think he was impressed. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger RCO said...

Great postings and pictures, Helen Clare. And of course I especially enjoyed the pictures and comments about "Coity Castle!" :o)

8:10 PM  
Blogger neoicurn said...

Hey - I just came across your blog. My name is Lynn. My mother's maiden name was Coit. She was a direct descendent of John Coite, who received a land grant and settled in Massachusetts around 1630. (His family descended from Coite Castle). He later settled in New London, CT., a small town where I was born and raised. So, are we relatives? :-)

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home